Video visits are a great way to maintain your health and wellness – all from the comfort of your home or office. OurHealth asked its providers for some tips on how to prepare for a video visit so you and the provider have a great experience!
- Before your scheduled appointment, find a quiet location with good internet connection and lighting. Make sure you’ve got the technology in place – download and launch the app in advance, bookmark the web page, etc. It’s also a good idea to fill out any forms so that doesn’t eat into your actual visit.
- Tell your provider if you’re struggling to see or hear them. Resolve any technical issues early on to make the most of your appointment time. If a disconnection occurs, your provider will attempt to reconnect or call your phone.
- Be prepared to answer questions. Depending on the reason for your visit, you may want some privacy. “It may be hard to see certain things through video, so we’ll ask extra questions to ensure we’re as thorough as possible,” says OurHealth provider Kelly McDonald, MD.
- Enjoy yourself and be patient with the process – there may be some trial and error as you both work together to get the right angle, lighting, and clarity. And don’t worry about dressing up or sitting at a desk, do what’s most comfortable for you. “I’ve had virtual appointments with patients in their homes, cars (not driving!), in bed with pajamas on, in the store, at work, and a Chik-fil-A drive-thru,” says McDonald, MD.
- As your visit comes to an end, ask your provider anything you would normally ask at the check-out desk. For example, ask for a summary of the next steps, review prescription(s), or schedule a follow-up appointment.